יום שני, אוגוסט 17, 2026 עברית|English Log in Free sign-up
LIVE
Israel and Honduras deepen defense ties with new memorandum of understandingRapper ‘The Shadow’ removed as police volunteer amid investigationEditorial | Israel Katz's solution for Jewish terror is fundamentally flawedTrump says US military to reduce military exercises with South Korea, cites North Korea relationsTrump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan: ‘The Mideast is coming together’US-allied Gulf States increasingly frustrated with Trump's Iran approach – reportEisenkot's Yashar unveils plan to support new olim integrating into IsraelAntisemitism at London-based ‘Guardian’ is worse than you thinkIsrael releases 35 Palestinian prisoners back into GazaUS officials to reportedly tour West Bank town that settler extremists are besiegingUN’s Albanese: Israel outsourcing coercion to settlers in West BankIsrael/OPT: Siege of Palestinian homes in Qusra marks relentless escalation in state-backed settler violenceIsrael and Honduras deepen defense ties with new memorandum of understandingRapper ‘The Shadow’ removed as police volunteer amid investigationEditorial | Israel Katz's solution for Jewish terror is fundamentally flawedTrump says US military to reduce military exercises with South Korea, cites North Korea relationsTrump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan: ‘The Mideast is coming together’US-allied Gulf States increasingly frustrated with Trump's Iran approach – reportEisenkot's Yashar unveils plan to support new olim integrating into IsraelAntisemitism at London-based ‘Guardian’ is worse than you thinkIsrael releases 35 Palestinian prisoners back into GazaUS officials to reportedly tour West Bank town that settler extremists are besiegingUN’s Albanese: Israel outsourcing coercion to settlers in West BankIsrael/OPT: Siege of Palestinian homes in Qusra marks relentless escalation in state-backed settler violence
News

US officials to reportedly tour West Bank town that settler extremists are besieging

4h ago ·  Source: The Times of Israel 89Objectivity score89/100

US officials to reportedly tour West Bank town that settler extremists are besieging

Israeli forces stand in front of the entrance of a Palestinian house besieged by Israeli settlers in the village of Qusra, south of Nablus, in the West Bank, on August 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)

A delegation of senior American officials intends to go to the West Bank village of Qusra in the next few days, where violent settlers have besieged Palestinians residents, to see for themselves what’s going on there, Israeli television reported Sunday.

▶ Related video

The US officials reportedly asked that senior Israeli defense officials join them at the village south of Nablus, to explain what is going on there, and how they plan to tackle the broad spiraling phenomenon of Jewish settler violence. US envoy Jared Kushner is due in Israel on Monday, though there was no suggestion in the Channel 12 news report that he was set to join the trip.

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee last week condemned the violent settlers at Qusra as “Israeli terrorists.”

As of earlier Sunday, settlers were near but not inside the village, where residents said the Israel Defense Forces was deployed but still not allowing them back to some homes.

The TV report said the IDF gave Israel Police “dozens of photos” of those who invaded the village and carried out violence there, so that the police will track and arrest them. However, the police have said that the IDF’s material does not specify what the photographed suspects did and thus does not constitute a basis for arrest.

According to the report, the Shin Bet was working to compile enough material to charge the suspects in the Qusra attacks.

תמונת סיקור

Settler violence has mounted in recent years, with near-daily, sometimes deadly attacks taking place throughout the West Bank, but few suspects arrested and charged. Critics accuse the government of condoning or even encouraging the attacks. In addition, IDF troops have been accused of standing by and allowing the violence, or even aiding it in some cases.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has remained silent since the settlers first began besieging the homes in Qusra, which the United States reportedly wants him to publicly condemn.

Despite the reported frustration behind closed doors, the US has refrained from publicly calling out Israel over the latest wave of settler violence. The Trump administration has adopted a vastly different stance than former US president Joe Biden, who sanctioned violent settlers and regularly called out Israel for not addressing the phenomenon. Trump canceled Biden’s sanctions regime on his first day in office and has yet to weigh in on the issue personally.

תמונת סיקור

As a multimedia journalist, my job is to take the quality, fact-based journalism produced by The Times of Israel newsroom and make it accessible across every platform — from Instagram posts to podcasts to short-form videos.

This is how many, especially young people, consume news these days. But misinformation is rampant on social media. Our team at ToI produces accurate, responsible short-form reporting on Israel and the Jewish world. 

If you believe in the importance of factual social media journalism, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. Your financial support is essential to sustain responsible multimedia reporting.

— Gabriella Jacobs, multimedia journalist

תמונת סיקור

We’re really pleased that you’ve read X Times of Israel articles in the past month.

That’s why we started the Times of Israel – to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.

So now we have a request. Unlike other news outlets, we haven’t put up a paywall. But as the journalism we do is costly, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Times of Israel Community.

For as little as $6 a month you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

Thank you, David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel

A slice of pizza. Beta-casein, successfully engineered into a plant at Jerusalem's Hebrew University, is one of the milk proteins responsible for making cheese melts. (Proformabooks, iStock by Getty Images)
Police stationed outside Central Synagogue in New York City, November 4, 2022. (Luke Tress/Times of Israel)
This combo image shows then-director of US National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard (L) in a White House briefing on July 23, 2025, and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Gen. Ahmad Vahidi im Tehran, Iran, July 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leaves 10 Downing Street after a meeting with Britain’s Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in London, March 24, 2023. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)
An undated photo showing Mali (left) and Liel Yahalomi, an Israeli mother and daughter who went missing in Vienna on August 7, 2026, and were found alive and well in Argentina on August 14, 2026. (Israel's Embassy in Austria)
Mali and Liel Yahalomi located on a bus in Argentina by police on August 14, 2026. (Screen capture/Israel Police)
Elisheva Levy at Kumkum Tea House, 2026 (Yitzchak Ledee)
Bassem Naim, an official in Hamas's political wing, speaks in Istanbul, Turkey, December 5, 2024. (AP/Francisco Seco)
X
google
apple
facebook
timesofisrael
google
apple
facebook
timesofisrael
timesofisrael
google
apple
facebook
timesofisrael
check your email
X
X
Confirm Mail
💬 Want to join the discussion and comment? Sign up — free, and get the weekly digest too.
🗞️ In-depth summary

A delegation of senior American officials plans to visit the West Bank village of Qusra, south of Nablus, to observe the situation following reports of a siege by violent settlers. The US officials have reportedly requested that senior Israeli defense officials accompany them to explain the situation and their plans to address the increasing settler violence. US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee previously condemned the perpetrators as “Israeli terrorists.” The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reportedly provided dozens of photos of suspects to the Israel Police, though police stated the material lacked specific actions for arrests. The Shin Bet is reportedly working to compile sufficient evidence for charges. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has remained silent on the issue, which the US reportedly wants him to publicly condemn.

Automatically generated summary based on the original article; quotes are from the source.
This story is based on reporting by The Times of Israel.
Read the full article at the source →

© All rights to the original article belong to the source. Din Online shows a headline, an excerpt and a link only. The objectivity rating is computed automatically and is an estimate only.

Related

Discussion

No comments yet — be the first to comment.

Add a comment